Listen to this story
Sometimes the simpler the exercise, the more effective it is. To build strong and powerful abdominal muscles, the Plank with Shoulder Taps is one of my favorite exercises.
Keeping your body as still and stable as possible, while holding the plank position and lifting one arm off the floor recruits your abs muscles into an isometric hold.
If you find this exercise too challenging to start with, simply widen your feet and it becomes easier.
- Go into a plank position, with shoulders above hands and feet shoulder-width apart.
- Keep your body at a 180-degree angle (don’t let your hips dip).
- Squeeze your abs and glutes.
- Slowly tap each shoulder one at a time.
- Go for 3 or 4 sets of 10 taps.