AP Editor Demands Investigation into Israeli Airstrike

0 Shares
0
0
0
0
0
0

The Associated Press’ top editor is demanding an independent investigation of an Israeli airstrike that destroyed a Gaza City building housing the publication.

The building was also home to several other media outlets, including Al-Jazeera.

Sally Buzbee, the AP’s executive editor, addressed Saturday’s attack on CNN’s “Reliable Sources.” Buzzbee explained that the publication had been housed in the al-Jalaa Tower for 15 years. She criticized the Israeli government for not giving media organizations advance warning that Hamas was operating in the building.

“We are in a conflict situation. We do not take sides in that conflict. We heard Israelis say they have evidence; we don’t know what that evidence is,” Buzzbee said. “We think it’s appropriate at this point for there to be an independent look at what happened yesterday — an independent investigation.”

However, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu disputes Buzzbee’s claims.

“One of the, I think, AP journalists said we were lucky to get out,” Netanyahu said Sunday on “Face the Nation.” “No, you weren’t lucky to get out. It wasn’t luck. It’s because we took special pains to call people in those buildings, to make sure that the premises were vacated.”

Al-Jazeera is also seeking justice for the blast. In a statement, the news outlet called on “all media and human right institutions to join forces” in denouncing the bombing and to “hold the government of Israel accountable.”

“Al Jazeera condemns in the strongest terms the bombing and destruction of its offices by the Israeli military in Gaza and views this as a clear act to stop journalists from conducting their sacred duty to inform the world and report events on the ground,” the statement reads. “Al Jazeera promises to pursue every available route to hold the Israeli government responsible for its actions.”

At least 140 people have been killed in Gaza, including 39 children.

You May Also Like