Listen to this story
With the holiday season well underway, businesses are set to make a profit during this month of gift-giving.
Here are five under $50 items from Black-owned businesses to show support for by gifting their products this season.
- Chris Collins’ Eau de Parfum Discovery Set: Priced at $45, Chris Collins’ Discovery Set includes six different fragrances. Named “Harlem Nights,” this scent is meant to transport the wearer to a Harlem speakeasy in the 1920s with smells of musk, orris and rum. With other fragrances like “African Rooibos,” “Lost In Paradise,””Autumn Rhythm,” “Galore” and “Cor Meum,”Collins and his team blend in scents like leather with cedar, coconut water with salted musk, black pepper with cardamom and Armenian style rose with thyme.
- Actually Curious’ Happy Hour Edition Card Game: Break the ice with this card game. Featuring 52 question cards, the Happy Hour Edition Card Game focuses on asking deep, reflective questions about happy topics. Featured in the New York Times, Marie Claire, Beyonce’s Black Parade and NBC Today, the game asks questions about memories, goals and dreams to create relationships. Created by Michael Tennant, Actually Curious is a company that focuses on creating an inclusive environment with its card games. Along with the Happy Hour Edition, other versions sold by Actually Curious include the “Our Future Edition,” the “Curiosity Edition,” the “Culture Edition,” and the “Human Rights Edition.” The product is currently priced at $25.
- McBride Sisters’ Black Girl Magic Red Blend 2019: Made by the McBride Sisters company, this 2019 deep red wine features tastes of tobacco, vanilla bean and fruits such as plums, raspberries and blackberries. According to the company’s website, they describe the products as a blend of the “choclate cherry flavors typical of Merlot” with “the peppery spice of Cabernet.” One of the first Black women-led wine companies, McBride Sisters, was created by two half-sisters, Andrea and Robin McBride, in 2005. Since its inception, the company has grown to be one of the biggest Black-owned wine companies. Through it all, the company has made a name for itself for its inclusivity and sustainability. The Black Girl Magic Red Blend 2019 is currently priced at $24.99.
- Juvia’s Place The Nubian Eyeshadow Palette: Paying homage to the Nubian civilization, this eyeshadow features a variety of neutral tones. Set at a price of $20, the Nubian Eyeshadow Palette has 12 colors ranging from tan to pink to metallic light gold to auburn to brown. Launched in 2016, Juvia’s Place was created from scratch by Chichi Eburu. Named in honor of her two daughters, the company’s purpose was to address the lack of inclusivity amongst makeup brands and their beauty campaigns.
- Brooklyn Tea Tea Gift Box: Priced at $34.99, this tea gift box includes a variety of flavors, from green tea to white tea to fruity to rooibos. Allowing buyers the ability to choose which package they want, the Brooklyn Tea Tea Gift Box also includes a “New to Tea” set with packets from the different flavors and an infuser basket to go along with it.