Listen to this story
The Hub’s Entertainment Watch List: BET+ Original Christmas movies (2022)
Christmas is only days away and what better way to get into the holiday spirit than with a good movie? The BET+ streaming platform made sure to feature some new Christmas releases for viewing audiences this year.
Check out these five 2022 Christmas films starring Black talent and putting a cultural spin on holiday storytelling.
- Blackjack Christmas. When life gets tough, having a solid support system can make a world of difference, especially when the holiday season is approaching. In the case of Delores Johnson (Charmin Lee), she’s willing to journey to Jamaica to get the support she’s seeking. “Blackjack Christmas” tells the story of two estranged sisters – one who migrated to the U.S. and one who stayed behind in Jamaica. After Delores loses her husband and finds herself battling bad habits, she decides to reconnect with her sister Corrine Allen (Dawnn Lewis). Despite years of distance and separation, the sisters are able to explore a relationship during the holidays.
2. The Sound of Christmas. Booker T. Mattison’s film, “The Sound of Christmas” also explores the holiday from the perspective of someone down on their luck. The movie takes viewers on a journey with Montana as she starts a new job nannying for a billionaire widower and navigates her own financial hardships. Even though Montana is experiencing difficulty during the holidays, she still tries to enlighten others about loss and love. This Christmas musical features talents including Serayah McNeill, Ne-Yo, Draya Michele, Michael Anthony and more.
3. A Miracle Before Christmas. With a star-studded line-up, it is no surprise that the film seems to be a hit with viewers. “A Miracle Before Christmas” features notable talents such as Keith David, Paula Jai Parker, LeToya Luckett, Romeo Miller and more. Everyone can benefit from a miracle from time to time, and Mercedes Wright finds herself on the receiving end of one in this BET+ original movie. It takes viewers along for the story of a workaholic relationship counselor who finds true happiness after a mysterious stranger grants her impulsive Christmas wish for a different life.
4. The Christmas Clapback. What’s a family without a little sibling rivalry? Director Robin Givens toys with the idea of family competition and holiday cheer in the film, “The Christmas Clapback.” Givens introduces the audience to the three Miles sisters who plan to honor their late mother’s memory with their annual Christmas cook-off. However, the tradition gets altered thanks to an over-friendly influencer and a handsome businessman. The film stars Nadine Ellis, Porscha Coleman and Candace Maxwell.
5. Rolling Into Christmas. The holidays can be a perfect time for rekindling an old flame, and “Rolling Into Christmas” explores that concept. The film was written by Gregory Anderson and stars Rhyon Nicole Brown, Donny Carrington and Jazmine Robinson. Two childhood sweethearts – Deja and Ian – grew up sharing a close bond over their love of roller skating. The duo is reunited 15 years later during the Christmas season and now must fight to save their former place of solace (the skating rink). While seeking to save the roller rink, the two end up reigniting their feelings for each other and questioning if they should be fighting to save their love as well.