Listen to this story
As people all over the world visit stores, shopping for gifts, technological items are set to be one of the most discounted items this holiday season. According to a report by CNBC, computers are now being sold at an increased discount rate of 32%, while TVs are also being sold at an increased discount rate of 19%.
With the holiday season sale already here, here are five virtual reality headsets to give to loved ones this gift-giving season.
- Oculus Quest 2: Also known as the Meta Quest 2, this VR headset first became available to the public on Oct. 13, 2020. With a bigger color gamut, the device offers viewers an experience with more vibrant colors. Meta Quest 2 is also fully portable because of the fact that it’s wireless and doesn’t need any other external wires to operate. Now priced at $350 for the holiday season, this headset is one of the most affordable for its performance.
- HTC Vive Pro 2: Released by tech company HTC on June 4, 2021, HTC Vive Pro 2 offers users new improvements from the original HTC Vive Pro. The newer headset has a higher resolution at 2.3MP, a faster refresh rate and displays larger resolutions with higher frame rates using Display Stream Compression. The device is operated using the Vive wand controller and can be used with other tools like their Facial Tracker and wireless adapter. The HTC Vive Pro comes in at prices ranging from $800 to $1,399.
- PlayStation VR: While the PlayStation VR 2 is set to arrive on Feb. 22, 2023, at a price of $550, the original, first PlayStation VR is the only Sony headset on the market as of now. Released in 2016 by the tech company, the headset is one of the oldest headsets on the market now. The device weighs in at about 624 grams, giving the headset an advantage because of its comfortability. The PSVR works directly with the PS4 device, connecting the headset with the gaming console using an external processor unit. The cost of the product currently stands at $299.99.
- Valve Index: Priced at $499, the Valve Index was released by software company Valve on June 28, 2019. Although the device can be difficult to set up as it’s a wired headset, the Valve Index has some of the best fields of view with lenses that are both long and wide and surround sound audio. The headset is used with Knuckle controllers, allowing the players to grab any objects in the game using their own physical hands.
- HP Reverb G2: Sold by tech company HP, the HP Reverb G2 was put up in the market in 2021. The VR headset gained rave reviews upon its release for its audio quality and easy set. The device also gained attention for its visual graphics; the HP Reverb G2’s resolution is greater than that of the Oculus Quest 2. While the Oculus Quest 2 has a resolution of 1832 x 1920 per eye, the HP Reverb G2 has a resolution of 2160 x 2160 per eye.